CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Quit loafing around!

Meatloaf has been created and recreated thousands of times by many different people.
I have never been able to find and make a "great" one really because somehow I always manage to mess it up.
Well I finally found one courtesy of my mother in law that even I can't screw up!
Her trick is to add sausage to the ground meat so it has a little kick to it when you take a bite.
I have one other recipe that I've tried before with success as well, but since it is moms week and not what I learned from the great ladies at church we're going with this one. :)

Meat Loaf

1lb ground beef/turkey (I used 98% lean ground beef)
1/2 lbs Farmer John sausage links removed from casing (I ended up using Jenni O turkey sausages that don't come in casings. Defrost them before mixing in meat)
1 egg
1 green bell pepper chopped (I chop mine finely as my husband prefers it this way)
1 small onion (again finely chopped)
2 or 3 slices of day old bread or 1/2 C of bread crumbs
1/4 C milk

Mix all together, shape into loaf in meat loaf or bread pan.
Bake in 375 degree oven for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hrs.
Drain liquids/fat from pan
Top with 1/2 ketchup, let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment