CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 5, 2010

Oven vs. Crockpot

I have often wondered if crock pots are really all that better then just a low temp bake in a standard oven.
Are they really that much safer then just leaving your oven on say 200 degrees all day long?
When I was younger a friend of mine left her coffee maker on and started a house fire so if a little coffee maker can do that, what can a crock pot do!?

This week I got my meal ideas from 2 different recipe books that I've had for awhile, so long in fact that one was really my husbands before we even met and the other I snagged from my mom after begging for it.
Funny thing is that I rarely refer to either one of them!
The one from my husband is called 'The absolute beginners cookbook 2' and it is where I got tonight's dinner from.

Kay's Pork chops

4 pork chops (roughly 1/2" to 1"thick)
1 egg, beaten
pinch of salt
pinch of paprika (I used more)
pinch of pepper
1/4 to 1/3 C of fine bread crumbs
2 Tbs of margarine
1 Tbs oil
1 Tbs water***

Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, trim excess fat from chops.
Dip pork chops into beaten egg and then dip moistened chops into bread and seasoning mixture.
Heat a large frying pan and add the margarine and oil, brown chops over low to medium heat until nicely browned on both sides (about 3 minutes each side)
Place chops in a single layer in a shallow baking dish and add water to the pan (just enough to moisten the bottom of the pan; you don't want the chops sitting in water.)
Cover tightly (foil is fine) and bake for 4 hours.
Serves 4

***If you use a 9x13" pan, 1 Tbs of water is enough o add; however if you plan to serve these chops at a party and need more than 4 you will need to increase the recipe proportionately and use a larger pan-roasting pan or even a cookie sheet-and add 3-4 Tbs water. Remember to keep the chops in a single layer and covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment