CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 15, 2010

Why use canned when you can have fresh?


I have never made my own pureed pumpkin before but thought I would give it a try this year thanks to some encouragement from one of my husbands friends and oh the free pumpkins from his work didn't hurt either. :)

1. Split the pumpkins in half and scrape out the seeds/pulp.
2. On a rimmed cookie sheet, pour a half cup of water and put the pumpkins cut side down.

3. Roast at 350 for 45-60 minutes, until soft.
4. When cool enough to handle, I scoop the flesh out of the pumpkin.
You can run it through a food mill so that any seeds, skin or pulp that are missed get strained out when pureed, or alternately use a potato masher, blender, food processor, etc.

Freezing the puree guarantees you have pumpkin to cook with year round instead of hunting around for the canned stuff in the off season at your local grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment