CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 15, 2010

Turkey Chili

This one comes from the cookbook "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld (yes she's married to THAT Seinfeld) :)


Prep 15 minutes Total 35 minutes Serves 8
**I doubled this one though so it took a little longer to cook**

Nonstick cooking spray
1 Tbs Olive oil
1/2 C chopped red onion
1 lb lean ground turkey
2 cloves of garlic, minced (I used my grater plater for this one!)
1 Tbs chili powder, or to taste
1 tsp salt
1/4 sp sweet paprika
1/8 tsp pepper
1 (15 oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 (26 oz) carton of reduced fat low sodium chicken broth (I used my vegetarian/organic bouillon chicken cubes for this one)
1/2 C red pepper puree (this is one of her "trick" veggie slip ins since I didn't have this I used red pepper instead to spice it up a bit, only about 1 tsp.)
1/2 C carrot puree (another one of her "truck" veggie slip ins that I just did right there while cooking.)
1/4 C cornmeal
2 Tbs flaxseed meal (I could NOT for the life of me find this so we skipped it)
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Coat the bottom of a large pot with cooking spray and set over medium heat. When the pot is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile sprinkle the turkey with the garlic, chili powder, salt, paprika and pepper. Add the turkey to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is no longer pink.

Stir in the tomatoes. Add the broth, red pepper puree, carrot puree, cornmeal, and flaxseed meal, stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered. 15-20 minutes, or until the flavors have blended. Stir in the beans and cook a little longer, just to heat them through and to help thicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment