CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sweet yam and pumpkin puff

This was originally a recipe I got from the magazine ParentLife in the Taste of Life section titled "Eat What You Love; yummy fall recipes low in sugar, fat and calories"
But I tweaked it so I could use what I had on hand and so now it's no longer low fat or low in calories but still yummy! :)

Sweet Potato Puff (original title)
Ingredients :

2 lbs dark sweet potatoes or yams (2 cups mashed)
1 cup canned pumpkin puree or fresh if you like
1 large egg
3 large egg whites (this is where I fudged it and just used 3 regular eggs instead of the separate egg ingredients)
1/2 c. light sour cream
2/3 c. splenda or other low calorie sweetener (I used organic sugar instead)
1 Tbs margarine or butter, melted
3/4 tsp. cinnamon (I used 1 tsp because I like to lay on the seasoning)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (oops I forgot to add this)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. chopped pecans (I used almond slices because it was what I had and I don't like pecans much.)

Directions :
Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and place in microwave. Cook on high for 10 minutes or until the flesh is soft.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Coat a 2 quart casserole or souffle dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Cut the sweet potatoes or yams in half and scoop out the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, except the nuts, and beat until smooth. I put my mix in my kitchenaid mixer unit and had it on a number 4 for about 8 minutes or however long it takes me to fold a load of laundry. ;)
Spoon into the casserole dish and smooth the top. Sprinkle the top with nuts.
Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the center slightly puffs.

Thank you to Marlene Koch and her book Eat What YOU love.

No comments:

Post a Comment